1. Key Traits
- AKC Group: Toy
- Height: 6–9 inches
- Weight: 6 kilos, on common
- Life Expectancy: 10–18 years
Chihuahuas are small canines who typically stay beneath 6 kilos. Coats could also be brief (easy) or lengthy and differ in 9 customary colours corresponding to black, tan and crimson, and plenty of alternate colours of gold, silver, white and extra.
2. The place They Got here From
The chihuahua has deep roots in Mexican historical past going again centuries earlier than being acknowledged by the American Kennel Club in 1904. Historic artifacts present an identical canine courting again to the ninth century, and there may be additionally hypothesis that the canine was bred with a canine from China and is analogous in options to a small fox.
Christopher Columbus wrote about this breed in a letter to the king of Spain within the 1500s, and the canine was claimed to have been seen and bred in varied elements of the world. The chihuahua’s Mexican origin is essentially the most broadly accepted, and it was introduced into America within the mid-19th century.
3. How Pleasant Are They?
The Chihuahua Club of America describes the canine as alert, assured and self-reliant. They’re additionally extremely smart and work nicely with households which might be affected person and attentive. They can be trained and require agency but constructive reinforcement to construct their confidence.
They like to be with different chihuahuas, however they do get together with different breeds and animals. Chihuahuas might be fairly playful and revel in interplay over being left home alone for long periods of time.
4. Is This the Proper Canine for You?
LOW: Chihuahuas require little exercise. They’re nice canines for small dwelling quarters or massive cities, however they’re susceptible in colder temperatures. Ensure that they are kept warm, and by no means depart small canines unattended; they’re simply misplaced and even a single chunk from a bigger canine can kill a chihuahua.
Kids can unintentionally drop or hurt small animals, so supervise children around your chihuahua. By no means depart a toy canine like this on a raised or excessive floor; the pet might be simply injured leaping down from excessive locations. Moreover, don’t let your canine sleep within the mattress with you. You danger rolling over and inflicting severe damage or demise.
MEDIUM: Common brushing, bathing when wanted and preserving the nails trimmed are important duties. Untrimmed nails and dewclaws may cause ache, damage, splayed legs and uncomfortable strolling.
When bathing, guarantee no water will get into your canine’s nostril or mouth — the inhalation of water can lead to respiratory issues. Good dental well being can also be essential, so ensure to brush your dog’s teeth frequently.
Well being Issues
MEDIUM: Chihuahuas have excessive metabolisms and require high quality meals to keep wholesome. Some frequent well being issues with the breed embody:
- Syringomyelia, which happens when fluid builds within the spinal twine and might be lethal. Indicators embody scratching within the air by the neck and a scarcity of stability and/or lack of mobility.
- Canine brucellosis is an infectious illness that may unfold via breeding and likewise have an effect on people. A blood check can decide in case your pet is contaminated. Some well being departments require contaminated canines to be euthanized due to the risk to people.
- Epilepsy is a standard drawback and could also be genetic or introduced on by different elements, corresponding to hormonal imbalances, damage, fatigue and different stressors.
- Luxating patella describes an ailment the place the kneecap slips misplaced. There are completely different levels of the ailment that your veterinarian can assess to decide in case your pet wants surgical procedure to right it.
Appears like this chihuahua just isn’t on pleasant phrases with water:
5. The place to Undertake One
A chihuahua may very well be ready for a house in a shelter or rescue, so check adoption resources first in case you are on this breed.
If buying a canine, ensure to keep away from any vendor, dealer or retailer who displays signs of operating a puppy mill or is not going to disclose the canine’s origin, dad and mom or medical historical past.